Sunday, June 8, 2008

Gonzalo Rodríguez Interview



In today's La Nacion an interview with Gonzalo Rodríguez.

Rodríguez has struggled terribly with a long number of injuries that nearly ended his career. One of the best defenders to come out of Argentina in recent years, he is finally back on the national team.
................................

"I endured very difficult moments. The time was passing slowly. Professionally, I did not know how I was going to continue with my career. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. May it not happen to me anymore, please."

Q - How much anxiety did you feel during all this time?

R - Alot. It's been a while since I received a callup. I was a little surprised by it. Not because of what I've been doing, because in Villareal I've been back playing without any problems and I think at an adequate level. But I didn't think I would get calledup to the national team so soon since my return.

Q - You must be experiencing this tour with alot of excitement......

R - What do you think!!! I'm enjoying alot all this time with the national team. I've met up again with teammates that I played youth world cups with and others who I've known with the senior team. I'll tell you more: I'm enjoying this tour as if it was the first one with the youth team.

Q - Do you see yourself with a chance to get calledup for the games against Ecuador and Brasil?

R - Today I'm thinking about returning to playing and in trying to get back in good form. If I have the luck of receiving a callup, even better.

Q - You still have pending your consolidation with the national team?

R - Yes, it's a challenge to be on the national team, it's everyone's dream. But not just anyone can play. I'm clear about that. Just look at all the other defenders that are a part of this tour. You realize that the demand on a player is very high. But I never lose hope.

Q - Demichelis won one of the central defender spots. Do you join the line as one of Ayala's replacements?

R - There are players in my position who are in really good form. One of them is Martin (Demichelis), of some great conditions. It's really difficult. But I'm going to fight for a spot. I always have hope.

No comments: